So I finally have some progress to show on my 3rd ball jointed doll. I decided to go back to some of my old sculptures and attempt to make a ball jointed doll in a similar style. I am not sure how successful it is going to be in the end but I guess I shall see. For this doll, I also switched my clay mixtures from straight fimo puppen to a mixture of fimo and cernit. I love cernit’s extreme strength and the fact that it is translucent, however I think in the future I will use a smaller amount of cernit since that clay tends to be OVERLY soft and sticky and is a major bitch to sculpt with. In fact, I was even thinking that once my polymer clay supply runs out I may go back to experimenting with air dry clay such as Premier. Lately I find my hands aching from all the kneading and carving so I think it will do me some good to alternate…….at least if I want to avoid getting arthritis.
As I was saying (before I went off subject, as usual) I wanted to give my new doll a different look from my other two so I decided rather than using fabric, I would attempt to give her the appearance of metal. I like the idea of carving designs into the clay as well as using the doll as a canvas rather than have to rely on giving her a costume which tends to get rather redundant. I think that this is an idea that I will most likely continue to play around with on my future dolls.
So here is what I have done so far as well as rough sketch. I still have LOTS more to do, so don’t criticize her just yet. I hope she comes out as planned.